Have you heard of the “thriller, filler, spiller” method of planting container gardens? I’ve come across it many times while reading gardening magazines, but have never really given it a try myself. Having come down with a major case of spring fever, I went to the garden center Saturday morning and looked for the right plants to give this method a try, finally!
The idea is that you put three plants into your container:
- the “thriller” is something dramatic, maybe tall and spiky, or oddly shaped
- the “filler” is something that will fill in spaces and get very full, and
- the “spiller” is something that will grow out and down over the edges of the container in a trailing way
Here’s my first shot at a thriller – filler – spiller – container garden:
In my terra cotta pot with the wonderful green patina, I planted:
- Twisted Arrows Rush – the thriller, a spiky grass in which some of the blades actually corkscrew!
- Early Bird Chili Dianthus – Maybe not the best choice for a filler, because Dianthus usually grow up more than out, but there wasn’t a lot to choose from this early in the season, and the color really won me over
- Scopia Gulliver Bacopa – this trailing bloomer is already a lovely and delicate spiller
I love the change it made on my front porch! Before, just a vintage cooler that sat there all winter:
After, with the addition of a Boston Fern on a vintage plant stand I received last Mother’s Day:
I think once it all fills out it will be very nice. Have you ever tried the thriller – filler – spiller method? What plants do you like to use? I think closer to summer I’m going to do another one with red, white, and blue.
Welcome to those of you joining from any of these fine link-ups! I hope you’ll stick around a while.
Between Naps on the Porch-Met Monday, A Living Space, Coastal Charm, A Stroll Thru Life, The Scoop, Cozy Little House, Inspiration Monday, Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Fluster Buster, Savvy Southern Style, From My Front Porch To Yours, Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olsen, Through the Dutch Door, The Style Sisters, Cuisine Kathleen, Colorado Lady, Charm of Home, Between Naps on the Porch-Tablescape Thurs, French Country Cottage, Thrifty Groove, Places I’ve Been, Romantic Home, Miss Mustard Seed, Shaken Together Life, The Cottage Market, Funky Junk Interiors, Sir Thrift A Lot, SITS Girls, Seasonal Sundays, Too Much Time, Dwellings, Travel Photo Discovery.
And to all my regular readers, and newest followers, thanks for reading We Call It Junkin!
Y’all have a great week, and check back tomorrow for the History & Home link party. Take care~ Dawn